Direct to content
Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland

Visa and Residence - Embassy of Finland, Singapore : Services : Visa and Residence Permits


101 Thomson Road
#21-03 United Square, Singapore 307591
Tel. +65-6254 4042
English | Suomi | Svenska |  |  | Instagram

Residence Permits and Visa

Residence Permits                                  

Residence permit is required for stays longer than 90 days and for studies or work in Finland. The permit is normally given for one year, unless required period of stay is shorter. Residence permit must be applied for in the country of the applicant's origin. In certain exceptional cases, in the country where he/she legally resides.

Foreign nationals need to have a residence permit to stay in Finland for three months or longer. If you will be working in Finland, you will also need a residence permit for a shorter stay.

Grounds for a residence permit

A residence permit may be granted on grounds of family ties in Finland, employment or studies, Finnish descent, return migration, on humanitarian grounds or for other exceptional reasons.

How do I apply for a residence permit?

Almost all the applications can be submitted online. Steps for a residence permit application:

If the residence permit application for your purpose is not available in the online service, you may submit a paper application at the Embassy. Forms are available at the Finnish Immigration Service's website.

How long does it take to process an application?

It is difficult to estimate the processing time. If additional documents are required during the process, it will affect the processing time. The Embassy has no influence over processing times at the Finnish Immigration Service.

Expected processing times are listed at the Finnish Immigration Service's website.

Residence permit card

Applicants whose permit application is approved will receive a biometric residence permit card. The card is valid for up to five years and must subsequently be renewed. Applications for a renewed residence permit card can only be filed with the local police in Finland.

The residence permit card is not tied to a specific passport, but the personal information in both documents must be identical. In other words the residence permit card must be renewed to reflect any changes in the passport’s personal information.

If the card is stolen or lost you should make a report to the local police. You must present the police report at the Embassy without delay. New residence permit card can only be applied in Finland. Visa applications in the event of stolen or lost card are processed on a case by case basis.

What rights do I get with a residence permit?

You may live and travel in Finland and leave the country and re-enter during the validity of the residence permit. Right to work debends on the grounds the permit was issued. The restrictions for working in Finland are always stated in the decision.

When holding a residence permit to Finland you may also travel to other Schengen countries for up to 90 days per 180 days period for tourist purposes.

Revoking a residence permit

A fixed-term or permanent residence permit is revoked, if you move permanently out of Finland. Your permit will be revoked also, if you have remained outside Finland for two years without interruption with the intention of staying abroad permanently.

You may submit an application for not to cancel your permanent residence pemit. Processing the application costs.

Notification to local register office

Under the Population Information Act, persons planning to move abroad from Finland for three months or longer are required to notify the local register office that they are moving out of the country temporarily or permanently.

Further information:


Country specific list of the travel documents and the requirement to have a visa can be found from the Finnish Foreign Ministry's website. Singaporean and Malaysian passport holders do not need a visa to travel to Finland for up to 90 days for tourist purposes.

Visa applications for passport holders from countries requiring a visa are submitted at the VFS Global Visa Application Center. The Royal Danish Embassy in Singapore is handling and issuing Schengen visas on behalf of the Nordic countries (Finland, Sweden, Norway and Iceland).

The VFS Visa Application Center is operating at 79, Anson Road, #15-02, Singapore 079906

Phone number: +65 62260915


For more information, please visit:

Print this page

This document

Also in this site

Other Foreign Service websites

Related websites

Updated 3/15/2017

© Embassy of Finland, Singapore | About this site | Contact information